NGC 6992 – The Eastern Veil Nebula

 Another nice clear night and a full moon which for most astrophotography sessions you would say oh well the moon is out I wont bother but not any more. Using the Astronomik Ha filter I can shoot during a full moon. And that's exactly what I did last night targeting the Veil Nebula with my Modded Canon 450d and the Ha filter in place. I first got my focus nice and sharp using my home made Bahtinov mask and Astrophotography tools Bahtinov mask aid, then once I was happy with the framing proceeded to take 30 4 minutes subs ISO 1600. You end up throwing out a few due to satellite trails and such but its all part of the task.

After that was done and a good nights sleep up early to process the data and came up with these nice images of the Veil Nebula in Ha and the final Ha RGB combined version.

Very pleased with the improvement using the Ha filter is making and can only say that if your using a DSLR for your imaging you simply must get one. You can image on a full moonlit night, your stars are reduced and that saves the processing of them and you get so much more amazing detail from your images there is nothing to lose apart from the cost of the filter there not cheap about £175.00 unless you can find one second hand but totally worth it.





Comments

Popular Posts