All hail the mighty Astronomik H-alpha 12nm Filter

 Well its only been a couple of weeks since I got this H-alpha filter from Astronomik and I have to say I am literally over the moon with it. So far I have gone back to my old targets The Wall in Cygnus, The Pelican Nebula, The Eagle Nebula the Heart Nebula , the Eastern Veil Nebula and others to give them the Ha treatment and the results have been amazing.   

Not only does this little filter give me much more detail to add to my original images but I can now go out when the moon is full and carry on imaging with out it effecting me. Before I got this little gem I had to call it a night when Mr Blobby came out as it just washed out all my pictures. Another great benefit of this filter is that the stars are much smaller and sharper something that is always an  issue when processing your images afterwards.

Learning to focus with the filter on was a bit of a challenge at first but after a few sessions it really isn't that hard to do using live view and a Bahtinov Mask and Astrophotography tool my favourite software for astrophotography.

Most of my shots so far have been at an ISO of 1600 and 3minutes long which seems to work well and getting 30 of these stacked with the usual darks flats and bias gives a good image at the end of the session.

Some targets are better then others the one that impressed me the most was The Eagle Nebula and I cant wait to have a crack at the Rosette Nebula again later this year.

So here are the images I have taken so far some just the Ha and some have been merged with the original RGB images.

                                                    The California Nebula


The Crescent Nebula


The Eagle Nebula



The Eastern Veil Nebula



The Heart Nebula


The Pelican Nebula


The Wall in Cygnus



The Wizard Nebula





Comments

Popular Posts