Eq5 upgrade is here and its awesome.

Well, it's time to upgrade the eq5 mount with the new syn scan upgrade from RotherVally Optics who I have to say are first class and a pleasure to deal with well done guys.

So who does it all fit together and is it easy to do? Well yes, actually it was pretty easy to put it all on the mount and get it up and running. Here is what you get with the upgrade

I ordered an eq direct cable as I don't want to use the handset and it works great just plugs straight into your laptop and you use EQMOD and the ASCOM platform to control the mount.


The hand controller ports



Cable for the hand controller and holder


The RA motor


The Dec Motor


The main control box you plug the eqdirect cable into the hand controller socket on the 
bottom left.


The side covers for the Ra Motor and the two cables that plug
into the RA motor


The cables for RA and DEC and the power cable if you're using a portable battery pack 
fine if you're going to lug it about but I got a power adapter to plug straight into the main control box



You also have the brass cogs that go on your mount and the bolts that hold the Ra and Dec motors and 
there washers.


Instructions to fit them are pretty much nonexistent so 

your first job is to put the motors in place and get them lined up correctly with the cogs so there is no slack or backlash that is very important or you will get tracking errors. If you have fitted the dual-axis motors to the eq5 before this will be easy if not follow this link on the stargazer lounge which has some great tips for getting it set up.

Once it was all put on the mount I plugged in the eqdirect cable and fired up my laptop and it all worked great. I am using the following software to control the mount
Astrophotography tool- Cartes du Ciel- Stellarium- backyard eos and eq mod with the Ascom platform.

Now to test it all out with my Canon 450d and see how it performs.
Here are some images I have captured using the eq5 mount with the synscan upgrade and my Canon 450d to show you what it is capable of doing.

Casper the friendly Ghost Nebula


The Orion Nebula


The Rosette nebula


All of these were taken with the unmodded Canon 450d and are unguided images 
exposure time was 50 sec each and an ISO of 1600. 30 lights 20 darks flats and bias were used stacked in deep-sky stacker and processed in PS.

Once I get a guide camera set up longer subs will be easily achievable.
So is the upgrade worth it YES absolutely worth it, in my opinion, it makes a big difference to the tracking, and being able to control everything with the computer is excellent no more struggling to find targets just get the computer to do it all for you. I will do some more section on the complete set up as I go along but if your thinking of getting this upgrade for your eq5 mount its got the thumbs up from me and I have been using the eq5 for a long time for astrophotography.











Comments

Popular Posts