EQ5 mount getting an upgrade soon!

Well, it's time for an upgrade to the EQ5 mount the second one I have owned since I began astrophotography back in 2010. 

This time the upgrade will be the skywatcher synscan upgrade kit which will give it full go to functions and enable it to be controlled by a computer. I did a similar upgrade back in 2013 when I used Astro EQ but this time the synscan upgrade will replace the old dual-axis motors with much better ones. I will be doing a full report on the upgrade and the fitting of the kit to the eq5 when it arrives.

Here is the Kit and I have ordered and the eqdirect cable so I can bypass the handset and plug it directly into the computer.

The skywatcher eq5 synscan upgrade kit and the eq direct cable both from RotherVally optics.

The total cost for these items is £338.50 which included postage.


If you have been following my blog over the years you will know that the eq5 mount is a very good mount indeed and although many will tell you that you should go for the HEQ5 for astrophotography don't let that put you off getting the eq5 if you cant stretch the budget that far. I have owned both of them and can tell you that the eq5 is a great choice to begin your journey into astrophotography.

Next question once I get the upgrade will be what software to use with it to control the mount and telescope? there are many choices out there at the moment so I will be covering that as well. Some of the choices include Astrophotography Tool, Backyard EOS NINA eqmod Stellermate lots more choice from when I started back in 2010 but I like to keep things simple and straightforward when I am imaging so I'm more then likely to go for Astrophotography tool we will see. 





Comments

Popular Posts