Elephant Trunk and Pacman Nebula

A break from building the observatory to post the latest images I have taken. 

This is the Elephant Nebula taken with my Canon 350D (Digital Single Lens reflex) camera yes, that is what DSLR stands for. And of course my trusty old sky-watcher 200P. 

I wondered if it was worth attempting this one as it seemed quite faint and I did not want to use a guiding set up. So I took 50 or so main shots at an ISO of 1600 and each shot was 55 seconds long. I was quite surprised at how much I was able to capture but pleased with the results.

Elephant Nebula
The Elephant Trunk nebula is a concentration of interstellar gas and dust within the much larger ionized gas region IC 1396 located in the constellation Cepheus about 2,400 light years away from earth. The piece of the nebula shown here is the dark,dense globule IC 1396A.


 Second version



Pacman Nebula

NGC281 is an HII region in the constellation of Cassiopeia and part of the Perseus Spiral Arm. Also known as the Pacman Nebula for its resemblance to the video game character.








Comments

Popular Posts